One of the most important things in the legal field, or any field for that matter is the ability to network, not only with alumni, faculty, and various professionals in the legal community but also with new, potential and returning members. The Law Society hosts various social events such as movie nights, socials, mixers, and membership/recruitment events for members to get to meet and know each other. In addition, the Law Society hosts various events to promote networking with alumni and legal professionals.
The Law Society has hosted a Networking Dinner every semester at Sushi Thai Restaurant with various alumni and legal professionals. Previous guests have included
- Attorney Dave Futterman’87
- Attorney Alice Small
- Judge Joseph C. Small’65
- Attorney Drew Newman’04
- Career Center Director John Noble
- Judge Judith Locke
- Pre-Law Advisor Michelle Shaw’95
- Attorney Herbert Ogden’69
- Attorney Robert Ware’70
Other networking events have included
- “Careers in Law Luncheon” at Whitman’s Dining: with Betty Dunkum’90-The law school admissions process, students life, bar exams and lsats, careers, and jury consulting
- “Careers in Law Bruncheon” at Mission Dining: with Marcus Christian’91-Experience as a U.S. Attorney, a Williams student/alum, and law school and professional opportunities
- “Careers in Law Dinner” at Sushi Thai: with Anthony Wang’08-Experience as a recent law graduate, and law clerk.
- “Space Law Dinner” at Sushi Thai: with Professor Joanne Gabrynowicz, Director of the national Center for Remote Sensing, Air, and Space Law at the University of Mississippi School of Law; Professor Henry Hertzfeld, of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University; and Michael Schlabs of NASA’s International Law Practice Group